October 28, 2014

Doggie Halloween Batman Cape

My daughter was looking for a small dog costume for her little Chi-weenie named Bear, everything was either too big or too expensive, so I decided to make one and I loved the way it turned out, so I wanted to share this tutorial with you.


First, I cut out my pattern for my cape, I just folded a piece of card stock in half and cut and angle across the top corner then laid it on my fabric and cut around it to make the shape of the cape, sewed a seam all the way around the cape, making me a loop for my string that I made to fit through to tie around the dog's neck [This is a picture of the first one I tried, I later went back and made it a little longer with a longer string :)


Then using Hall of Heros Font I printed my template for my Batman images in the sizes that I needed on card stock & labeled them what color fabric to cut each image out of


Here are those images cut out 


I then pinned the bat onto the yellow fabric
 [this picture here is of the image flipped over so you can see the pins]


I flipped it over and sewed around the bat
[please note, I am a beginner and my sewing isn't perfect, but it looked okay on the important side] :)


I then pinned the image onto the cape


 Again, flipped it over and did the best I could sewing it :) Whew, no straight line awards in sewing for this girl...sheesh!


 This is the first glimpes I had of it after I was finished, I flipped it over to get a picture of it


 This is the finished product, well before I trimmed the little frayed pieces of thread off, but I think it turned out pretty awesome for my first time :)


If I had to do it again, I think I would use felt for the Batman emblem, I think it would be easier to sew and have more dimension 

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment


View more gifts at Zazzle.